To me the game feels split in design and I am not talking about the battle Royale addition.
You load into a mission and on one side you have your own quests and objectives that aren't shared, or at the very least your own motives (Screws for ammo etc).
And on the other side, you have the main mission objective.
These games can last from 20m - 120m or more before everyone decides to finish.
And are repeated, potentially, hundreds of times in order to get to end game content, which seems to be the most diverse and fun to play!
It is essentially playing a single minded experience with your own voice actors and missions, while others happen to be around (You can always help each other to collect things but it's not any main or serious objective).
Then you all come together at the end to complete the original mission goal.
To get to the point, here is the direction I would love to see explored by epic:
- A base of operations to replace all the UI and Menus (While still having the menus to shortcut 3D the world).
- Missions to no longer be islands of instances but instead to feature a vast open world setting.
- Seamlessly walk out into the open world into your own private base (Similar to the shield defenses currently but with potential for a lot more freeroam and different biomes to explore).
- The tech already exists for battle royal to make this an open world game, especially with the amount of players.
- You could have game worlds with 50 or more players.
- Would open up the game to a PvP aspect.
- You could venture out to complete personal motivations and objectives without tying yourself down to a mission.
- Storms could still travel the map and spawn hordes of enemies. (These could also destroy left over player made forts over time).
- The main objectives could be areas of the map you could choose to go to specifically with the intent to take part in it (rather than now; having multiple reasons for being in a mission).
There would be a few issues with this:
- Seamless host migration tech to allow for people to matchmake in the open world.
- Obviously a massive undertaking to convert the game, so this will likely never happen.
- Lots of design issues related to instancing the homebase, rebuilding of resources and balance issues related to number of player participation in events.
- You never know what the community wants until it's out there, a lot of people might hate these ideas, especially people reaching end game who are comfy with the current game.
The main thing that brought these ideas was the amount of development that has shifted towards Battle Royale and how the two games completely conflicts with each other. A big redesign of the main game is needed for it to stand a chance at competing for developers time with the rate that Battle Royale popularity is going.
Not to mention I think it would sell the game a lot more, easier to get into, feel like less of a grind as you aren't doing missions after missions.
I realise it's a completely different direction but to me, as an avid game designer, would love to see the Fortnite world realised in such a way, especially at the hands of Epic.